In this time of unprecendented change, people across the world are learning to connect remotely. For Oakwyn, the last few weeks have reinforced the power of community. Now more than ever, it’s important that we support each other (from a safe distance). From online fitness classes, to exciting webinars, and home delivery services that keep you healthy, we’ve compiled a list of the best this city has to offer while we all #StayHome.
Webinars and Education
With all of this extra time at home, why not learn a new skill or develop one you already have. Here are a few great ways to keep your mind fit at home:
- Listen to podcasts, like our Oakwyn Podcast hosted by Morgan Browne and Michael Uy.
- Take on a digital project! Organize your dropbox, email, or re-vamp your website. Also, Adobe is currently FREE from now until May 31st.
- Expand your knowledge on property law, development projects, family zoning, and duplex laws.
- Seth Godin is doing daily webinars on all things motivation, working from home, building skills, and more.
- 4 book recommendations: Good to Great, 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, Principles: Life and Work, Millionaire Real Estate Agent.
- Schedule Zoom meetings with your colleagues and see what you can both learn from one another. Community will keep us strong!
- Dean Graziosi, a world renowned success coach, is hosting a weekly Mindset Monday webinar on his Instagram page.
- Small Business BC is hosting regular virtual meetups and webinars to help entrepreneurs manage these uncertain times. You can watch their new and archived webinars here.
- The Real Estate Institue of BC is also hosting regular webinars at various dates and times. Their next session is scheduled for April 30th!
Health and Fitness
Navigating this crisis is all about innovation! Luckily, some of our favourite studios have moved their classes online. Keep your motivation up with these awesome at-home workouts.
- Daniela Dib of Vancouver’s Soul Cycle is doing HIIT classes every day at noon via her Instagram.
- Barry’s Bootcamp is hosting regular Instagram Live workouts. You don’t need any equipment, just your body!
- Lions MMA Vancouver has also taken their classes online and are posting daily training plans on their Instagram page.
- Oxygen Yoga and Fitness is offering daily classes on and Instagram Live.
- Get the Nike Training app! Their Master Trainers upload regular videos that will get you sweating. Nike is currently offering all members FREE access to these classes, so don’t miss out!
- YYOGA is hosting paid and unpaid virtual yoga and meditation classes every day!
- Hustle is hosting free virtual classes on-demand and live through their website. Time to hustle up!
- Formation Studio is offering free dance-based classes via Instagram Live, as well as digital workouts through their website.
Etiquette is important! Help keep your community safe by using cards instead of cash, ask the driver to leave your delivery outside of your door, and wash your hands before and after you pick up your groceries from the doorstep.
- Dogwood Brewing is blowing out their current supply stock so that they can repurpose their brewery to make hand sanitizer to aid the global crisis. You can order their product through Uber Eats, Skip the Dishes, and Foodora. Oakwynites are eligible to receive 3 mixed flats of Organic beer (that’s 72 cans of beer) at 50% off! Email firstname.lastname@example.org to get on the list.
- Body Energy Club is doing home deliveries of vitamins and supplements in Vancouver and Burnaby, plus live workouts via Instagram Live.
- SPUD, Save-On Foods, and Instacart are all delivering groceries during this time (see websites for availability).
- Joseph Richards Group is offering delivery and pickup, promising all of the proceeds to their staff who have been laid off during this time.
- Fresh St Market is offering personal shopping, pickup services, and delivery to locals during COVID-19. Please see their website for availability.
- The Real Canadian Superstore is also offering grocery delivery during this time. Please order well in advance as wait times may be longer than usual due to the high volume of requests.
Life isn’t all about work! Make sure you take some time to do things you enjoy during this time. Relax, take it easy.
- Find a new series to watch on your favourite streaming platform.
- Download the House Party app to connect and play games with friends and family.
- At home with your kids? This blog will teach you “easy, fun, and interesting ideas for adults and children to explore together.”
- Scholastic is offering “Learning Journeys” for kids from preschool to grade nine. Your kids can do these activities alone or with the whole family.
- NASA is offering virtual space station tours along with other fun, family-friendly activities that you can do with your kids at home.
- Using this time for learning? Check out the Business in Vancouver podcast for regular news updates and education.
- The Busy Toddler website offers a diverse range of activities that you can use to entertain your toddler while you practice social distancing.
Some Good News
- Join Oakwynite of the Year Celine Bacani, owner of Lee’s Donuts, in supporting the morale of Metro Vancouver’s frontline workers! Starting April 1st, Lee’s Donuts will be accepting minimum $5 contributions which will go towards bringing donuts (and joy!) to frontline workers throughout the city. To donate click here.
- Every day at 7pm Vancouverites can be heard cheering from their balconies in support of medical workers. The cheer has become a city-wide show of support for our front-line workers.
- Your fellow Oakwynite Shauna and her husband Rick Ocean are using their Body Energy Club location in Gastown to help keep our First Responders healthy & nourished! If you’d like to buy a smoothie to a First Responder (Fire Dept, Paramedic, Nurses, Doctors, VPD) for $3.00, please contribute by going on the Body Energy Club Canada mobile app.
- Oakwynite Vivian Yu has started a GoFundMe page to source quality personal protective equipment for front-line workers and health professionals. All funds raise go directly to the cause so please donate if you can!
- Vessi Footwear‘s choose what you pay initiative is using its proceeds to donate facemasks and footwear for health care workers. Find out more about how you can contribute (and get some cool sneakers) here.
- Animal shelters across Canada have seen increased adoption rates as humans seek companionship during isolation. We may be socially distanced, but our furry friends are feeling the love!
Over the last month we asked our agents to come together and show us their #OakwynAtHome lives. We are proud to work alongside such strong parents, business owners, entrepreneurs, and comunity-minded individuals who have stayed dedicated during these difficult times.
Our Oakwyn family continues to amaze us with their resilience and motivation. Thank you for being such great role models!